Earlier this week I started reflecting on year 25, and to be honest, it wasn’t the easiest year I’ve ever had. Jake and I navigated into newlywed life, which isn’t always rainbows and butterflies (You can read about that HERE), and I had finally launched my blog, taking me one step deeper into the bridal world (You can read some of those thoughts HERE). Year 25 also brought me heartache, struggle, pain, and discouragement. I faced some health scares physically; which ultimately led me to focus on my mental health as well. I had relationships slowly fade, while others blossomed without me even expecting it. Overall, I’d say it was a learning year. I learned God’s timing will always win, and that it’s okay to be selfish at times. I am proud to be living amongst a generation that really focuses so much on mental health, and that speaking up is OKAY! …even though it might be scary as hell. I am READY for a new 365 days though. I can see the light on the other side of this “tougher” year. I’m excited for new challenges, new adventures, and of course, I’m most excited for a new title, Mommy. ❤
Thank you to the family, friends, and even complete strangers that have supported this big blogging dream of mine. To be honest, clicking “publish” still gives me anxiety, but I’m blown away by the love of others afterwards, every. single. time. In light of my birthday, and mixing in some personal posts between the bridal posts, here are 26 fun facts about me! 🙂
- My perfect day would start with a 6am spin class at Harness Cycle, followed by a local brew at Rising Star Cafe. Nothing better than getting a workout in before the sun is up.
- Speaking of working out… I ran a FULL marathon (yes, 26.2) in the Fall of 2017. Haven’t run more than 5 miles at a time since. Not mad about it.
- I have three brothers. I’ve always loved being the only girl in the family. (But I also LOVE my two SILs too!!)
- Favorite movies of all time: Titanic, Mean Girls, and Silence of The Lambs. Kind of all over the board, eh?
- My childhood crush, Nick Carter. Now? Milo Ventimiglia. (Although I think I married the REAL Jack Pearson)
- Born, raised, and still in love with my state of Ohio. But sometimes I feel like my soul is in the south somewhere!
- Two days after I graduated from college I moved to Buffalo, NY with my boyfriend of less than 9 months. We lasted just 5 months in Buffalo. (But don’t worry, the boyfriend is still stuck with me) Read about our long distance relationship HERE.
- Most already know, I cheered in college. How many people get to say they actually lived out their childhood dream?! GO BUCKS!
- Before I was a cheerleader though, I was a gymnast for 15 years and a ballerina for 6.
- Speaking of college, I went to school for education. At one point I wanted to open up my own children’s gym. (Hiiii, Wendy’s Gymnastics!)
- One of my top happy places; going on an evening summer drive with Jake. Windows down, country music up, iced coffee in hand… with zero end destination.
- If you know me, you know that I am extremely sensitive. I cry almost every single day, usually at the drop of a hat. For many years, it was a quality that I was ashamed of. Now I am proud of how deeply I feel all the time! It makes me human.
- Rose’. All day. All year. All the time. Always my choice of drink at happy hour. Except currently I’m living that sparkly water and lime life LOL
- When I first met Jake, I wanted at least 5 kids. He’s talked me down to 3 or 4.
- My nails are ALWAYS done. Dip polish in blush pink, please.
- Aside from working at Matina’s and running this blog, two days-a-week I nanny the sweetest almost 3 year old. (who is also now a BIG BROTHER!) I’ve been watching him for over 2.5 years, AND he was also the ring bearer in our wedding. If I could, I would claim him (and his sister) as my own. I am completely in love!
- My Pandora station is always on Old Dominion Country Radio. If I’m not listening to Pandora, I’m listening to Backstreet Boys.
- Hot black coffee, or Iced black with a splash of coconut milk.
- My favorite foods are pizza and donuts. I promise you, I will never ever turn down either.
- I HATE the movie theatre, and am convinced that if I go, I’ll get bed bugs!! Dramatic much or nah?
- I know how to drive a stick shift! …only because I was forced to learn in college when my parents bought me a manual car, to force me to stop texting and driving. (Remind me of this when my kid is a teenager, please!)
- My husband is half hispanic! Don’t be fooled by our last name Hilgendorf.
- I thrive during the summer time. I love HOT weather. During the winter I am a hermit in my house.
- I am 100% that person that decorates their house for Christmas before Thanksgiving, and I DON’T CARE WHO KNOWS IT!
- I recently chopped my hair off for the first time in my life. And already growing it back out haha!
- If I could have any job in the world, other than what I’m currently doing? …be a mommy!
What a year it’s been. I’m thankful for so much; the good and the not so good… but even more excited for what’s to come! Happy Friday! XOXO,